Friday 15 February 2013

BEEF, HORSE, KANGAROO... BADGER?

                                           
                                          BEEF,  HORSE,  KANGAROO... BADGER?


Why is it that I happily consume pork, lamb, beef and venison, but shy away from kangaroo and horsemeat.  I mention kangaroo because it was on a local pub's menu recently.  I'm not sure whether it was seeing the 'roo'  in my mind's eye and thinking 'Aaaaah', or whether it was the thought of the poor animal being carted half way across the world in order to satisfy a publican's ego.  Actually, I think it was my preference for  meat to be obtained as locally as possible.

Most of our meat is purchased from Farmer's Choice who deliver frozen traceable cuts and we also buy fresh meat from our local butcher.  We  occasionally buy meat from Morrisons because they have their own abattoirs, and from Waitrose, because I have faith in their ethics.  I do hope that faith is not misplaced.  Those who know me will be only too well aware that I will not touch ASDA now that it is American owned, Lidl or Aldi (equally foreign owned) and I wouldn't soil my shoes on Tesco's doorstep. Up until now it has always been my contempt of their ability to build wherever and whenever they like. They appear to run rough-shod over weak and inept planners and planning regulations.  There is an arrogance that I find most distasteful about the company.

It is therefore with great delight that I follow the latest twists and turns concerning the horsemeat debacle. I really do hope  this issue encourages more consumers to buy British traceable meat slaughtered as locally as possible.  It should be our farmers' future, not  the future of the French or Romanians!

No comments:

Post a Comment