Thursday 17 October 2013

TV ISN'T SO BAD AFTER ALL

                                                     
                                                      TV ISN'T SO BAD AFTER ALL


My winter viewing during the dark nights of that season have been  made more pleasurable by the Saturday night presentation of "Strictly Come Dancing" and "Merlin".  "Merlin" sadly ended its run earlier this year and its replacement "Atlantis" is a very poor imitation and I endured the first two episodes before switching off for good.   "Strictly", however, continues to amuse and entertain me.  The first two weeks of dismissals have seen two of the three that I would wish to be dismissed, so I can ask no more.   Tony Jacklin didn't seem a bad sort, but his smile was so ingratiating.   I know he can't help his facial structure or what it does when it breaks into a smile, but every time he did, I could only see  Tony Blackburn's face.  It didn't get any better.   I've never been a lover - no, definitely not a lover - of Vanessa Feltz.   I've never rated gobby, lippy people, either male or female - how non-sexist can one get!   So I was rather pleased when she departed last Sunday.   I hope my expectations are fulfilled this Sunday when Julien McDonald is voted off as his over-the-top antics, not to mention his accent - there's lovely hasn't it - are tending to grate.

Having just started decorating the kitchen  it was an absolute joy painting a ceiling whilst listening and watching a set of TV programmes that really made afternoon television a joy.   Two episodes of "Keeping Up Appearances" which had some priceless lines in it , followed by "Are You Being Served" and "Allo, Allo", both classics of their time and style, and to cap it off, one of the best American imports ever, "Cagney & Lacey".   Not such a bad day after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment